STEAM Gifted and Talented Academy
The STEAM Gifted and Talented Academy is a new and exciting program housed exclusively at Landry Elementary School designed to serve CFBISD’s Academic Creative Education (ACE) Gifted and Talented (GT) students. STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics.
- The goal is to combine the mind of a scientist or technologist with that of an artist or designer.
- To arm students with the skills and knowledge they will need to be successful innovators in the 21st century.
- To teach relevant, in demand skills for an ever evolving world.
- Students practice skills, develop explanations, solving novel problems, use creativity, and engaging in critique and evaluation.
- Empowers teachers to employ project-based learning that crosses all 5 disciplines (science, technology, engineering, arts, math).
- Fosters an inclusive learning environment where all students are able to engage and contribute.
- Through this holistic approach, students are able to exercise both sides of their brain at once.
- Practice skills that can be used throughout life to help students get through tough times and take advantage of opportunities whenever they appear.
- Students are taught how to learn, how to ask questions, how to experiment, and how to create.
The STEAM Gifted Academy at Landry Elementary
The CFBISD STEAM Gifted Academy at Landry Elementary is a new and exciting program housed exclusively at Landry Elementary School designed to serve our Gifted and Talented students. The District is committed to creating the best possible program for our students:
- $17 million dollars – commitment to gifted education
- Exclusively at Landry for ACE GT students
- Homogeneous Grouping
- Enriched and not accelerated in curriculum in Grades 1 – 5
What is STEAM at Landry Elementary?
STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics.
SteamPortal describes it best when they say
STEAM is an educational approach to learning that uses Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics as access points for guiding student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking. The end results are students who take thoughtful risks, engage in experiential learning, persist in problem-solving, embrace collaboration, and work through the creative process. These are the innovators, educators, leaders, and learners of the 21st century!
The CFBISD STEAM Gifted and Talented Academy will offer a special opportunity for identified gifted students to learn with their academic peers in homogeneously grouped classes with enriched curriculum in four content areas:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
ACE Gifted students in grades 1st through 5th will be able to attend this academy at Landry Elementary
Your Child Has It All – A Fine Arts Academy Plus Gifted Education
This program allows students to take advantage of the enriched Imagine Fine Arts combined with extensions in technology and engineering. Students will learn and grow through Art, Music, Theater and Dance (Creative Movement.)
Daily students will participate in Fine Arts activities including art, music, theater and dance. In addition, students will be able to audition for Fine Arts clubs, organizations and ensembles.
In addition, students can participate and perform in ensembles including: