From curriculum development to supporting student achievement, and arranging for buses to providing equipment needs that help facilitate the campus programs, the CFBISD Fine Arts Department provides oversight of and direction to the district’s band, choir, orchestra, dance, theatre arts, visual arts, and speech and debate programs.
The department supports 170 staff members who teach the arts to more than 23,000 students every day.
“The Fine Arts Department strives for excellence, focusing on students first,” said Dr. Mark Rohwer, Director of Fine Arts.
The department stays busy supporting the many efforts and accolades of fine art students throughout the district.
“We provide the teachers with support and resources,” said Dawn Valentine, Coordinator of Fine Arts. “We regularly visit classrooms and attend concerts, art shows, and competitions.”
The department has four employees housed at its Standridge Stadium office. They are:
- Dr. Mark Rohwer - Director of Fine Arts
- Dawn Valentine - Coordinator of Fine Arts
- Reyna Jimenez - Fine Arts Secretary
- Idalia Maldonado - Fine Arts Clerk
Interesting facts about the department:
- 23,171 students are receiving arts instruction this year from Pre-K through 12th grade
- Seven different groups have been invited to perform at the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) convention
- More than 40 CFB students have advanced to the State Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) since 2017
- Two CFBISD high schools have advanced to the state UIL One Act Play finals
- CFBISD offers dance at all six middle schools
- CFBISD has received the NAMM Foundation - Best Communities for Music Education designation for 15 consecutive years
- Reyna Jimenez attended Central Elementary, Carrollton Elementary, Perry Middle School, and is a proud Newman Smith class of 2016 graduate
- Idalia Maldonado attended Central Elementary, Vivian Field Middle School, and is a proud R. L. Turner class of 2000 graduate. Her children have attended Farmers Branch Elementary, Vivian Field Middle School and R. L. Turner High School.
For more information about the Fine Arts Department, please visit the department’s website.