What started as a small initiative to enrich the lives of some special students has made a big impact on the lives of many. In 1999, Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD formed an “All Star” team of 16 Special Olympics athletes. This program has grown to over 230 students and is a model for other districts to aspire. Our CFBISD All Star team is proud to offer Bowling as a fall sporting opportunity and Track and Field as a spring sporting opportunity. The annual Track and Field meet draws athletes from other districts that are unable host such an event due to limited coaches and budget. This is the event of the year for Special Olympics athletes and volunteers alike.
The CFBISD Special Education staff has dedicated itself to making this program and the participating students flourish and grow. We invite any interested students to join our All Stars Special Olympics team! Participating athletes must be eight years of age and older and present with an intellectual disability or other closely related developmental disability. If you are interested in having your child participate in CFBISD Special Olympics, an Athlete Enrollment/Medical Release Form (Spanish, English) must be completed by your physician and each medical form is good for up to 3 years. Upon completion, please return the signed medical form to child’s teacher.
Special Olympics is a positive experience for all who participate, including high school students and our community volunteers. Their participation in this event is a vital part of its success. If you are interested in volunteering for this wonderful cause please reach out to our Special Olympics Coordinators and complete the required online background check. Background checks are required each year to volunteer in CFBISD. Please click here for more information.
In addition, CFBISD supports our Special Olympics athletes with the help of proceeds from the annual Kacie’s Run event. Funds from this event provide opportunities for Special Education students to participate in the Olympics at no cost to them. The experience enriches their lives by promoting relationships and building confidence. For more information regarding this event please click here.
Our CFBISD Special Olympics coordinators are happy to answer any questions you may have. Please do not hesitate to email and/or call us at (972) 968-5800.
- Leslie Halencak, MS CAPE, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Katrina Noyola, email@example.com
- Shawna Harryman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Billy Macklin, email@example.com
Other Important Forms/Information:
- Field Trip Permission Forms: English and Spanish
- Consent Forms: English and Spanish
- For information regarding additional sports offered through the Carrollton-Farmers Branch City Special Olympics Cyclones team contact Julia Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (972) 245-4436.
- For information regarding additional sports offered through the Special Olympics Area 10 - Greater Dallas office please click here or via phone at (214) 943-9981.