Affordable Care Act Mandate (English)

Great news about your benefits

Notice to CFB ISD Employees:  Requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)

As of January 1, 2014, the ACA requires you to have health insurance for yourself and your dependents. Some people are exempt from this requirement. To learn how to apply for an exemption seeQuestions and Answers on the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision at: If you do not have health insurance and you are not exempt, you may be subject to a penalty.

Enrollment in TRS-ActiveCare satisfies the requirement to have health insurance. The TRS-ActiveCare Enrollment Guide explains who is eligible to enroll in ActiveCare.

Enrollment in another plan, such as through a spouse, parent, or association, also satisfies the requirement to have health insurance if the plan provides minimum essential coverage.

The Health Insurance Marketplace

As an alternative to TRS ActiveCare or another health insurance program, you may enroll in insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. In Texas, the Marketplace is a federal government program that will offer “one-stop shopping” to find and compare private health insurance options. Most individuals are eligible to enroll in insurance through the Marketplace.  For information on the Marketplace, go to:

You may be eligible for a premium tax credit or other assistance toward insurance you may obtain through the Marketplace, depending on your household income.  More information on the premium tax credit and other cost sharing provisions is available at: Additionally, please note that the district will not contribute to premium costs if you enroll in insurance through the Marketplace.  As a result, you will lose the benefit of paying the premium with pre-tax income if you purchase insurance through the Marketplace.

Additional Information

If you have questions or concerns about the health insurance offered through the district, please contact the Benefits Office at 972.968.6130. Questions about the Marketplace and how the Affordable Care Act impacts you as an individual should be addressed to: or your personal attorney.