American Red Cross Lifeguard Course
The American Red Cross, in coordination with Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD, will host a Blended Learning Lifeguard Certification Course in September and November at the CFBISD Natatorium. For registration information or course questions, please contact the CFBISD Natatorium Supervisor, Grace Parker, at email@example.com or 972-968-5668.
Course Price: $50 (cash or check)
Thursday, December 1st - Sunday, December 4th
- Thursday& Friday, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (1 hour lunch break)
** Class times may start later or end earlier based on participant numbers and practice time needed for skills. This information will be communicated to participants via email. **
This course is to provide entry level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personal take over.
Entry into the course is limited to those who meet the minimum age requirement and successfully complete the prerequisite skills evaluation. Participants must be 15 years of age on or before the last scheduled session of the course.
Blended Learning Course has three parts:
- Prerequisite Skills Evaluation: Participants will be required to swimming 300 yards continuously demonstrating rhythmic breathing using the front crawl (freestyle) and/or break stroke, tread water for two minutes without using their hands (hands should be placed under the armpits), and complete the following skills within one minute and 40 seconds:
- Start in the water
- Swim 20 yards
- Surface dive (feet or head first) to a depth between 7-10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound dive brick
- Return to the surface with the brick
- Swim 20 yards, returning to the starting position, on their back while both hands remain on the brick
- Exit the water without using a ladder/steps
- Online Session/Lessons: Participants are expected to complete all eLearning (online) modules before attending the first in-person session. Participants will be asked to provide proof of completion before the start of the first in-person session. eLearning takes approximately seven hours.
- In-Person Session/Lessons: Participants will be expected to attend all in-person sessions and participant in activities both in and out of the water. They must demonstrate competency in all skills and pass the final skills scenario. They will also need to pass the final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%.